“The most beautiful thing you can wear is confidence.” – Blake Lively
Hair loss is an emotionally challenging experience. It degrades the confidence and self-esteem of a person to a significant extent. Technological advancements have paved a way for treating hair loss problems more efficiently than ever before. One of such techniques is hair transplantation. Hair transplantation helps in densing the hair naturally and efficiently.
There are, primarily, two kinds of techniques used for hair transplantation-
- Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)
- Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT)
Follicular Unit Extraction is a procedure where the individual hair follicles are taken from the scalp and moved to the part where the hair transplant is required. On the other hand, the Follicular Unit Hair Transplantation involves the cutting of a strip from the scalp and extracting individual follicles out of it. The extracted follicles are then implanted into the place where there’s thinner or no hair.
Table of Contents
- Benefits of FUE Hair transplants
- FUE- Pre Operative Instructions
- What to expect during FUE hair transplantation?
- FUE- Post Operative Instructions
- What does the recovery look like?
- Success Rates of FUE Hair Transplantation
- Possible Complications
1. Benefits of Follicular Unit Transplantation
It is because of the exemplary results of FUT transplant that it is preferred over other techniques. The FUT hair transplantation has been efficient in serving the following benefits-
- Maintains a natural look- The Follicular Unit Hair Transplant ensures natural-looking hair after the transplant. In fact, the biggest advantage of FUT hair transplant is that people cannot distinguish between their natural and transplanted hair.
- Leaves no scars- The hair transplant FUT doesn’t leave any scar or mark in the transplanted area because the incision sites are quite small. However, the success of this surgery largely depends upon the FUT procedure and post- operative care.
- Short operation- This surgery is not very long and lethargic. The FUT hair transplant takes 4-8 hours approximately, depending on the size of the recipient area. It takes even lesser time than the FUE hair transplant surgery.
- Quick healing- One of the major advantages of FUT hair transplant is that it’s recovery time is 10 days generally. Also, the new hairline is visible within 4 months and gets thicker by the tenth month of the transplant.
- Minimum discomfort- The FUT hair transplant involves minimum discomfort if carried by professional medical experts. Local anesthesia is administered. It doesn’t cause any pain or inconvenience to the patient. The patient often stays awake in the course of the procedure.
- Higher success rate- There are various techniques and processes concerning hair fall treatment. However, the success rate of hair transplant is significantly consistent and high. Additionally, it provides a permanent cure to hair loss.
- Cost effective- The FUT hair transplant cost in India is particularly lesser than other techniques, making it cost-effective. It’s cost depends upon the number of hair grafts that need to be implanted and the techniques used by the specialist.
2. FUT- Pre Operative Instructions
The patient is required to follow certain guidelines before the hair transplantation so as to ensure an effective and successful surgery. Generally, the transplant surgeon explains the do’s and don’ts but some of the commonly accepted rules are-
- It is important to consult the medical expert regarding the medications and drug intake of the patient. The medicines and health condition is to be rightly communicated. It can possibly interfere with the surgery by causing infection or damage of some kind.
- It is advisable to not cut your hair at least 2 weeks before the transplant.
- It is recommended to avoid alcohol and nicotine a few weeks before the transplant. Also, smoking may cause irregular blood circulation to the scalp. As a result, hair transplant FUT Scar may take even more time to heal and the transplant may not yield successful results.
- Medicines like Aspirin, Motrin, or other anti-inflammatory drugs are to be refrained. It makes the blood thinner and might compromise with the healing.
- Similarly, heavy exercise right before the surgery is prohibited. It may also make the blood thin and affect the success of the surgery.
- It is best to avoid hair color or chemicals of any kind a few weeks before the surgery or as prescribed.
- The patient is required to wash the scalp with shampoo on the day of surgery. Conditioner, oil or styling gel are to be abstained.
- A healthy breakfast is recommended. However, caffeinated drinks like coffee or soda are best avoided.
- Lastly, the patients are advised not to wear the clothes or accessories that pass through the head. It can harm the freshly planted hair grafts.
The FUT Pre Operative instructions are mandatory and not discretionary. Failure to adhere to the guidelines could lead to cancellation of the surgery on the appointed date.
3. What to expect during FUT hair transplantation?
- Initially, anaesthesia is administered to the patient. The surgeon would draw a hairline to determine the extent of the procedure. Subsequently, a strip of tissue is extracted from the donor area. The FUT hair transplant procedure involves cutting the strip into individual follicular units. This is carefully done through microscopic dissection techniques. Hair grafts are prepared and placed in the tiny holes made in the recipient site.
- The first few days of the transplant may witness itching on the recipient area. Some swelling may also occur on the forehead. However, this can be treated with ordinary painkillers.
- Within 2-6 days of the surgery, facial swelling may be seen. It is often accompanied by crusting of the transplanted area.
- Within the next 5-9 days, the scalp can get scab free. Hair bath can be taken.
- After 10-14 days of surgery, FUT transplant scar (lineal) gets healed. The stitches of the scalp are also removed by this time.
- By the end of the fourth month, new hair will start to grow. Finally, after 10-15 months, final FUT hair transplant results will become visible.
The given timeline may vary depending on factors such as size of the recipient area, FUT hair transplant technique, FUT hair transplant after care and hair care habits of the patient.
4. FUT- Post Operative Instructions?
- A surgery doesn’t conclude within the operation theatre. It is the surgeon’s skills accompanied with care of the patient that makes it a success altogether. Some of the FUT hair transplant after care tips are-
- Immediately after operation- Routinely a headband and water solution is supplied after the discharge. The headband is to be worn for at least 3 days after the surgery. The patient is also required to spray the water solution every 20 minutes for 12 hours. The transplanted area should not be touched. It’s important to keep the body hydrated especially during the recovery period.
- Day 1-3- The water solution is to be sprayed every half hour after waking up.
- Day 7-10- By the 7th day, the patient can take a head bath. It is preferable to get it done by a doctor. However, it can also be done at home taking necessary precautions- apply shampoo gently with the fingers; scalp should NOT be scratched.
PRECAUTIONS TO BE TAKEN:
- Avoid sleeping or lying on your face. It can cause swelling.
- For at least 3 days of the transplant, alcohol is to be prevented.
- Don’t brush or comb the hair for at least a week post transplant.
- Smoking and medications that affect the blood circulation are to be avoided.
- Avoid a haircut for at least 4 weeks after the surgery.
- Direct exposure to the sunlight can cause burns. It is better to cover the transplanted area with a cap or a hat.
- Avoid using hair color, dye or any chemical substance at least 4 weeks after the transplant.
5. What does the recovery look like?
The recovery from a transplant surgery dramatically varies from case to case. The FUT hair transplant process can leave a scar and its recovery can take weeks.
Once the surgery is done, the doctor carefully removes all the bandages. Triamcinolone may be injected to keep the swelling down. Certain medications can be prescribed by the doctor to avoid infection and damage post-surgery. These include-
- Pain killers, such as ibuprofen (Advil);
- Antibiotics to avoid infections;
- Anti-inflammatories, such as steroids;
- Medications to stimulate hair growth, such as finasteride (Propecia) or minoxidil (Rogaine).
It is natural to experience some hair fall two or three weeks after the procedure. It creates a way for the new hairline. There is no need to panic.
Following certain aftercare tips can surely boost the recovery process. These are-
- Use only mild shampoo to wash your hair for the initial few weeks.
- Consult your doctor at regular intervals.
- Normal wok activities can be resumed in about 3 days of the surgery.
- Avoid brushing or combing hair for about 3 weeks.
- Avoid hard exercise for about a week.
However, there are various factors that influence the recovery rate of hair transplants. These include surgery techniques used, donor area issues, condition of the hair grafts, dehydration and blood trauma. The FUT hair transplant recovery is usually quicker than other surgeries. The recovery time is minimal and the results are astonishingly excellent.
6. Success Rates of FUT Hair Transplantation
The most typical and expected question regarding this surgery is ‘How successful is FUT hair transplant?’ Ordinarily, the recovery from a transplant surgery is smooth and swift. New hairline becomes visible within a few months. However, the success of hair transplants is relative. Also, not everyone is suited for FUT hair transplant. There are various factors that pressingly influence the success rate of the FUT hair transplant. These include-
- Size of the bald area
- Underlying health conditions
- Age of the patient
- Thickness, texture and quality of hair
- FUT hair transplant Post operative care
- Routinely hair care of the patient
- Regular check up and consultations
Each and every factor plays a pivotal role in determining the success of this surgery. It is therefore advisable to patiently consult your physician before the procedure is carried out. Besides the above mentioned factors, the skills and credentials of the surgeon, techniques used by him, habits of the patient, his diet, FUT hair transplant after care and follow ups significantly matter.
Cost of the surgery- The cost of FUT hair transplant is generally calculated on a per graft basis. An individual graft costs around Rs. 25-45. Each graft includes 1-3 hair follicles. FUT hair transplant cost in India generally varies from 25,000/- to 100,000/- depending on the size of the bald area, number of grafts to be implanted, selected clinic and the technique used by the medical practitioner.
7. Possible Complication
One of the most fearful doubts concerning this treatment is if the FUT hair transplant is safe or not. It is important to mention that possibly every surgery affects the body in some way or the other. However, the side effects associated with FUT hair transplant are minimal and impermanent. They are usually cured within a few days. Some of the common complications are-
- Post Operative pain
- Swelling of the forehead or scalp
- Bruising around the eyes
- Crusting of the donor area
- Numbness or lack of sensation on the treated area
- Graft dislodgement (resulting in shedding and falling of hair)
The FUT hair transplant side effects are short-lived and curable. For example, crusting disappears within 7-10 days of surgery; pain, swelling and bruising can be redressed within a day or two of the transplant. However, at Skinqure, you will get the best FUT hair transplant experience with minimum chances of side-effects. If there is any, we will take care of it.
Globally, around 60% men and 50% women experience hair loss problems for some reason or the other. Multiple over-the-counter products are being tried and tested. It includes widely advertised shampoos, conditioners, hair oils and medications such as minoxidil (Rogaine). None of them provides for a permanent solution for the hair fall problem.
Follicular Unit Transplant is gaining wide popularity with the growing age. It is because it has proved to be safe, successful and cost-effective. The procedure is quick and involves least complications. However, it is suggested to understand the procedure and it’s possible implications before being operated upon. Additionally, a thorough insight about the transplant surgeon is also vital. Confirming the credentials of the doctor and reading his reviews online would be conducive.